Welcome to 6th grade Social Studies/Writing 2016-2017 with Mrs. Polka
What's happening at Wilkerson?
Want my reminders? Remind 101
Blocks 1 and 3, text 81010 with the message @df34e3
Blocks 4 and 5, text 81010 with the message @3hchc
PLEASE explore our text book, made available online. There is a LOT of good information there. Please go to
user name: wcgtxstudent password: explore
-Students login with their email address and stu12345 (where 12345 is the last 5 of their ssn).
We are continuing our unit on South Asia, in modern times. What an interesting and diverse region. We are specifically talking about how their traditions impact modern day life in India. We will be looking at such traditions as:
Essential questions are:
How has the varied geography of Sub-Saharan Africa affected people's lives?
How did trade networks and migration influence the development of African civilization?
What features of Sub-Saharan Africa are caused by plate tectonics?
How are coastal regions in West Africa different from interior regions?
Why might governments need a lingua franca in the United States?
How did the gold and salt trade impact African kingdoms?
******Please look at their Tuesday folder every Tuesday night, and send back with them on Wednesday. *****
Students use a personal pencil sharpener in class.
***Interactive Student Notebooks (ISN):***
We will use these ALL throughout the year, so put forth your best effort, and remember that this can (and should) be used as a study guide!
Absences: In the event a student is absent I hope you will refer to this website. I will have copies of the work we have done in class available for you to print at home. The time granted for work completion will be determined on the number of days missed. Also, it may be helpful to watch CNN Student News at home to catch up. www.cnnstudentnews.com
Late Work: I understand that things in life happen, that being said it is my expectation that all students will turn in assignments when it is due. If work is turned in late it is 10pts off for every day that it is late.
Cell Phones: We understand that students have cell phones for safety purposes. However when they are inside the school we ask please that ALL cell phones be off and placed in their backpacks. This is the expectation set by CISD and is a policy set forth in the student handbook. If a student is found with their cell phone out, the cell phone may be taken up from the student placed at the front office for a parent to pick up.
A message from WILKERSON INTERMEDIATE
Wilkerson Procedures for Food and Drink on Campus
Due to various concerns with food and drinks on campus, the following expectations will be put in place for Wilkerson students. This will serve as an addendum to our current Wilkerson Student Handbook.
Healthy Snacks and water are allowed in the classroom at teacher discretion at various times of the day.
Allowable healthy snacks for the classroom include:
- Fruit, vegetables, crackers, or other teacher approved healthy options that do not require utensils, stain furniture or carpet or create a mess.
- The only drink allowed in the classroom is clear, unflavored, non-carbonated water. Water may be bottled or stored in a refillable container.
All other food or drink must be consumed in the cafeteria during the designated breakfast time from 8:00-8:40am or during the student’s regular lunch time.
- Drinks such as coffee, soda, tea, juice or flavored waters may only be consumed during these designated times in the cafeteria.Students may not drink these beverages in the hallways, at recess or in the classroom.
- Breakfast foods and other items that do not fall under the healthy snack category may only be consumed during these designated times in the cafeteria.Students may not drink these beverages in the hallways, at recess or in the classroom.
- Lunch may not be delivered directly from a restaurant or food vendor as we cannot verify that the parent initiated the delivery or approved of the food.Parents may personally deliver or drop off food from restaurants or other food vendors.
Please note that any food or drinks not consumed during breakfast or lunch in the cafeteria must be sealed and stored in the student’s backpack or lunch box or discarded before leaving the cafeteria.
Thank you for support with this procedure as we work to maintain a safe, pest-free, clean and distraction-free environment for our students.
If you have any questions or concerns about your child, please contact me by email
Please visit this page often as I will try to keep you informed of the activities in the class and also advise you of events and other information.
The Class links at left will help you navigate through the various pages in my website and the other links are important school and district page.
Homework postings are of particular importance!
The following are reminders relating to cell phone and electronic device use at school.
1. C.I.S.D. permits cell phones at school; however, they are to be turned off and stored until the student leaves the building at the end of the day.
2. Teachers and staff who see a cell phone out and not stored in pockets, backpacks, purses, etc. or who hear a cell phone ringing or vibrating
should take the phone up and turn it in to Mrs. Daw for storage. Parents will need to come and pick it up.
3. Text messaging and/or taking pictures with cell phones is strictly prohibited by C.I.S.D.
4. Musical devices, such as ipods, and other electronics are not to be at school. If teachers see them or students have these out during the school
day, staff should take them up and turn them in to the front office for parents to pick up.